Do you want to know what to pack for Tenerife in winter? No worries, here are the Tenerife winter essentials!
Getting ready to go on a vacation in the Canary Islands but unsure what to pack for Tenerife in winter? You’ve come to the right place!
Deciding what to bring with you on an island destination during—of all seasons—wintertime can be a little confusing at first but don’t worry: I’ve got you.
With so many things to do and places to see in Tenerife, it’s crucial to bring the essentials: items you can use during your trip, no matter the activity, to keep yourself comfortable and safe from the elements.
To ensure you’re ready to enjoy the Island of the Eternal Spring to the fullest, let’s look at the things you should bring with you as you travel Tenerife.
Hey! Don’t forget to grab my free “Tenerife Beach Checklist” below!
Pssst…!!?? You can’t get enough of Tenerife? Have a look at my other posts:
You, dear reader, support this blog. When you purchase through a link, I may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Top resources to travel Tenerife
✈ Book cheap flights to Tenerife with Skyscanner
✔ Book tours in Tenerife with GetYourGuide
❖ Rent a car with the best discounts at DiscoverCars
✎ Never leave without travel insurance. I get mine at HeyMondo. It is easy to set up, cheap, and reliable.
$ Withdraw money without hidden fees and avoid exchange rates with Wise (you’ll get a free card on top!)
Quick overview on what to pack for Tenerife in winter
Here are just some of the things to consider when preparing your Tenerife packing list essentials:
For mild days with a lot of sun:
- Choose lightweight, breathable fabrics to combat the heat.
- T-shirts, shorts, or skirts are ideal.
- A pair of sunglasses isn’t just stylish—it works as sun protection, too!
For colder days:
- Pack long-sleeved shirts and light sweaters for when the temperature drops.
- Time to switch out the shorts and skirt with jeans!
- Don’t forget to wear a light jacket or cardigan just in case.
For chilly evenings:
- Since it can get very cold at nighttime, consider warmer layers like a fleece or light coat.
- This is the best time to wear jeans or other long pants to stay warm.
- A pair of comfortable closed shoes can also help!
For rainy days:
- Tenerife in winter can include some rain showers, so bring a raincoat!
- Bring a small umbrella, especially if you’re spending time in the island’s northern part since there’s a higher chance of rain in this area.
When deciding what to wear in Tenerife in December, these are just some of the basic things to remember and take note of.
Remember that the items you’ll need to bring may vary greatly depending on key things like where you’re going and the type of activities you’ll be doing.
Make sure to take these into consideration when you decide what to pack.
1. Swimwear and Beach Essentials
Don’t forget your swimwear when thinking of what to pack for Tenerife in December or winter because it’s still warm enough to hit the beach!
That’s one of the things you’ll have a lot of fun doing: visiting different beaches across the island. Don’t miss out on the best beaches in South Tenerife.
Here are just some things to bring with you:
- The only way to enjoy beach activities is with the right attire: swimsuits!
- Consider going for quick-dry towels for convenience.
- Flip-flops or open-toed sandals are a must!
- This is just me, but another must-have? A beach hat!
- Bring a lightweight beach bag with you to easily carry your essentials around.
Winter temperatures can vary, but as an island destination, you bet there’s always an opportunity to bask under the sun during your stay.
Whether considering what to wear in Tenerife in February or any other time of the year in Tenerife, you’ll never go wrong by bringing swimwear.
2. Layered Clothing for Daytime Adventures
With so many places to visit and activities to do, it’s essential to stay comfortable when choosing what to wear in Tenerife so you can really enjoy yourself to the fullest!
Whether hiking in one of the island’s many trails or simply enjoying a boat ride off the coast, here are clothing options to choose from.
- Choose moisture-wicking base layers, preferably lightweight.
- Wear a pair of convertible pants in case the temperature changes.
- Opt for t-shirts or blouses made of breathable fabrics.
- Always wear a sweater or light jacket to fight the cold.
Considering what to wear in Tenerife in June may be slightly different than what you would during wintertime but here’s a tip:
I’ve found that the key to staying comfortable wherever I go is knowing how to correctly layer clothes to suit the weather and temperature.
Tenerife is no exception!
- For an outer layer, choose something windproof and waterproof.
- Using fleece in between layers can help with insulation—this is more important than you think!
- Choose breathable base layers that manage moisture and sweat well.
If you’re planning things to do in Tenerife in February, note that it’s one of the coldest months of the year so layered clothing is even more important.
In fact, no matter where you plan to go or stay in Tenerife, it’s a rule of thumb to be prepared for anything regarding what to wear.
There’s just no telling when it comes to the weather, and, until there’s a surefire way we can start predicting it, it’s just better to be safe than sorry!
3. Comfortable Footwear
From sandy beaches to rugged hiking trails, proper shoes should be non-negotiable regarding what to pack for Tenerife in winter.
Since there will be a lot of walking around on the island, the proper footwear can make a difference so you don’t tire quickly or get into unwanted accidents.
Make sure you have at least one of the following.
- A comfortable pair of sneakers or walking shoes for casual strolls
- Hiking boots for more challenging terrain
- Sandals or flip-flops for when you’re on the beach
If you’re hunting for things to do in Tenerife with kids in tow, having the wrong footwear is the last thing you’ll want to worry about.
It’s not overkill, promise—you’ll thank me later!
4. Rainy Day Gear
Rain is unavoidable, even in the land of eternal spring!
Though it’s limited to just a few days during winter, it’s still possible, especially in the island’s northern part.
Choosing the best winter apartments in Tenerife is important if you’d rather stay in when it’s raining.
But if you still want to go exploring anyway, here’s what to pack for Tenerife in winter to prepare for possible rain:
- Pack a lightweight and waterproof jacket.
- Bring a small umbrella just in case of unexpected rain showers wherever you go.
- Use a waterproof bag or backpack to protect your stuff from getting wet.
You can also consider looking for things to do in South Tenerife with fewer rain chances.
Even then, bring rainy-day gear anyway because you never know!
Going back to layering clothes, it also comes in handy, especially if the weather suddenly takes a turn and you’re caught outdoors.
5. Evening Attire for Dining Out
Looking to dine out or explore the top nightclubs in Tenerife? You’ll want to dress up for that!
Stay stylish and comfortable at the same time, especially since winter temperatures in the evenings can be very cold.
- Choose a chic, casual attire that you can wear in most restaurants.
- Pair simple clothing with accessories for a more elevated look!
- Opt for dressy sandals or comfy heels.
- Pack a dress or collared shirt for more upscale dining.
- Don’t forget to bring a light jacket or cardigan to keep you warm!
There’s no shortage of places to go to even at night, especially in winter!
But if you want to enjoy yourself, you’ll want to be dressed appropriately and as comfortably as possible according to the weather.
6. Outdoor Adventure Gear
If you’re visiting for adventure activities, you may want to be more particular when deciding what to pack for Tenerife in winter!
As someone who visited for this very reason, here are the things I consider to be important when deciding what gear to bring:
- A decent-sized backpack, specifically a hydration pack.
- UV-protective clothing for protection against the sun.
- UV sunglasses.
- Clothing that’s tailored to the type of activity I’m doing.
Bring other appropriate gear like gloves or a helmet if you plan to bike. It’s going to depend on the activity you’ve got lined up.
If you’re not sure, do some research so you won’t be caught unprepared!
Check out more things to do in Tenerife in November to maximize your winter stay on the island.
7. Sun Protection
Even though the weather in Tenerife is mild, with the sun shining overhead, you still want to ensure you have some protection!
With many things to do in Tenerife in December, you’ll most likely stay outdoors for long hours, exposed to all that sun.
That said, it’s vital that you have the following with you:
- A broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher
- UV sunglasses for eye protection
- A wide-brimmed hat
Do you feel like there’s still room during your winter vacation for additional activities? Here are more things to do in Tenerife in January!
8. Tech and Gadgets
Indeed, just like me, you’ll want to document your beautiful time on the island!
As far as what to pack for Tenerife in winter is concerned, you’ll want to bring only the essentials without forgetting to consider the weather and the places you will visit.
- Use a protective waterproof phone case.
- Bring a portable charger for easy charging on the go.
- Have a separate camera to use alongside your phone!
- Carry everything in a dry bag to safeguard your gadgets.
If you plan to do nighttime activities, choose a camera with good low-light performance for the best photos, even in dimly lit areas and places.
Other items you may want to bring include travel adapters since you’ll be traveling internationally and wall sockets may vary from country to country.
Organizer bags can also help a lot, especially to keep things like different cables in check. It’ll also be easier to find what you need without digging around your bag.
9. Medications and First Aid
Part of having a good time while on vacation is ensuring you’re prepared in case something happens.
Regarding what to pack for Tenerife in January, bringing a basic first aid kit wherever you go is always a good idea.
Here are other things to include so you’ve got your bases covered:
- Enough supply of your prescription medication/s.
- A complete supply of basic first aid items like bandages, antiseptic wipes, and pain relievers.
- Medical documents or insurance information in case it’s needed.
Even as you travel to your next destination, when asking yourself what to bring from Tenerife, these things should always be part of your list.
There’s no telling when emergencies can happen and it won’t hurt to be prepared. It’s better to have these on hand even if you don’t need them.
10. Tenerife Packing List Essentials
There are also other specific items you’ll want to bring with you as you travel around Tenerife.
- If you’re not already using euros as a currency, exchange the cash you have at the airport, the bank, or the post office before anything else!
- Pack a reusable water bottle for long walks or hikes to access drinking water.
- To ensure you won’t have issues with charging your devices, bring a travel adapter that you can use on the island.
- Have your travel documents handy in case you’re asked for them: passport, driver’s license, copies of identification documents, travel insurance details, and even your itinerary.
When traveling, it’s best when you’re ready for anything to ensure the best trip possible.
My favorite must-haves on what to pack for Tenerife in winter
Tenerife Weather Essentials
What makes it ideal to spend your winter breaks in Tenerife is the mild and inviting weather.
Tenerife winter temperatures range from 18°C to 25°C (64°F to 77°F) during the day.
Though mostly sunny, expect the evenings to be a little cooler at around 10°C to 16°C (50°F to 61°F).
My final thoughts on what to pack for Tenerife in winter
This list is, of course, not the end-all and be-all of all packing lists!
What to pack for Tenerife in winter may differ entirely from the items you’d bring with you any other time of the year.
It’s essential to think about where you’re staying and what your activities are going to be.
Based on this information, you can customize and select appropriate clothing and gear that caters to your preferences.
Have you been to Tenerife, or are you planning to visit the island yourself? If so, what winter packing tips can you share that aren’t included on this list. Share it with everyone in the comments below and help others prepare for their trip to the island!
Can’t get enough of what to pack in Tenerife in Winter? Check out our webstory! And make sure you know where to stay in Tenerife in January with these awesome accommodations.
Hola! I am Paulina, a fervent travelette who crossed the Atlantic Ocean by Boat HitchHiking. On my blog, I help you to make the most of your holiday. Get ready to enjoy outdoor and sustainable travel like hiking, cycling or sailing. Let’s hit the road!